Are you a highly motivated university student in engineering, science or business administration with a keen interest in technology and innovation? The ESA Education Office is looking for university students to participate in the Online edition of the ESA Academy’s Technology Transfer, Application & Innovation Workshop.
Developed in close collaboration with the ESA Commercialization Department, it will be held online from 9 to 18 March 2022 from 13:00 to around 18:30 CEST.
Technologies and satellite systems developed by the space industry help our everyday lives on Earth. Satellite systems are part of the way we communicate, navigate and benefit from location-based services. Space technologies are being used to improve health care, water recovery, waste management and more, and also in highly specialised fields such as sports and risk management. The commercialization of space technologies and its applications need people with creative flair and vision, skills that this workshop aims to develop.
Delivered by ESA specialists and external experts from start-ups and industry, participants will be exposed to the near-infinite possibilities of technology transfer and application in their essential role of innovation. There are many opportunities for entrepreneurs wanting the challenge of developing new products and services!
Students from another Online ESA Academy Training Session.During the workshop, participating students will learn through various lectures about different disciplines within the field of Technology Transfer, Application & Innovation, including patenting, entrepreneurship, and business incubation. This is not a strictly theoretical course though, as focus will be given to hands-on experiences. Group assignments will see students taking a real ESA patent and brainstorming potential application ideas, and developing a business model around it. At the end of the week, students will follow in the footsteps of real entrepreneurs by pitching their ideas.
|Day 1||Introduction to Technology Transfer, Application & Innovation|
Introduction to Patenting
|Day 2||Dissecting an ESA Invention|
Tips & Tricks for Idea Generation
GP1: Technology Transfer: From Fiction to Reality
|Day 3||Technology Beyond Space and Business Application|
Practical Case Examples
|Day 4||GP2: From Patent to Application|
|Day 5||Introduction to Entrepreneurship and Business Incubation|
New Venturing Creation
ESA Opportunities & Education Programme
|Day 6||Entrepreneur – Skyflox|
GP3: From Application to Business
|Day 7||GP4: Group Project Finalisation|
|Day 8||Final presentations|
Who can apply?
For the second edition of this workshop, ESA would like to invite business students to join the engineering and scientific students to work together on the group assignments and complement each other’s knowledge.
In order to participate, students must fulfil the following criteria at the time of application:
- be aged minimum 18 years old. ESA Academy and relevant partners will only appraise applications from students who have no or limited professional
experience in relevant engineering or space-related topics;
- be a citizen of an ESA Member State, Canada, Latvia, Lithuania or Slovenia;
- be studying for an engineering or science degree at Bachelor (at least 3rd year), Master, or PhD level or for a business administration degree at Master or PhD level;
- Students that will graduate before the Workshop and will not continue their studies are not eligible;
Students enrolled in a scientific degree should have a clear focus on applied sciences.
Selected students will be requested to attend all 8 afternoon sessions live.
How to apply
- Fill in the application form;
- Upload a motivation letter (PDF, maximum 1 page, no images);
- Upload a CV (PDF, Europass format, no images, maximum 2 pages);
- Upload a formal recommendation letter (PDF, maximum 1 page, including signature, no images) from a university professor or academic supervisor of current university (if not possible due to the current confinement situation in your country, please ask a university professor or an academic supervisor to send a recommendation email to firstname.lastname@example.org);
All answers and documents should be in English (except academic records if not available).
The deadline for applications is 10th January 2022 23:59 CEST
For more information, please contact email@example.com.
-ESA also photo